2014 NWCC April 12 & 13
April 12th come kick off the 2014 NWCC! We are excited to be back for our ninth consecutive year!
Back in 2011 epic high water returned. Kayakers are always happy to have ample flow. We know that Mother Nature calls the shots and that year she spoke clearly as unrelenting rainfall soaked the NW.
Along with epic water levels Mother Nature also miraculously unlocked the gorge in Canyon Creek freeing thousandths of jammed logs which most agreed would never break free in our lifetime. When the word came down the line that high water had cleared the logs in Canyon Creek NW paddlers rejoiced and the NWCC decided to reinstate the Canyon Creek Race on Sunday. But then as race day approached water levels spiked drastically and it was clear once again that Mother Nature was not cooperating.
An alternate course would be used for Saturday's race on the East Fork Lewis and the Canyon Creek Race would be cancelled do to high water. Racer's would have to wait yet another year to race on Canyon Creek.
The following year we were finally able to race on the famed Canyon Creek once again with near perfect flows. This two day format is back again. With the community, local retailers, and manfacturers all rallying around this event it's sure to be another great year. Come join us to volunteer, race, spectate, or all of the above! No matter what the flows we're gonna have a great time.
Here's the schedule details for this year's Creek Comp
1) You must attend the mandatory competitor's meeting to get a bib and race.
2) There is no on-site registration on Sunday. If you're doing the Canyon Creek Race Sunday, you have to register on-site Saturday morning, or online prior to the event.
8:30 AM – Registration opens at Sunset Falls Camp Ground
10:00 AM – Registration closes
- Get your raft in the pool below sunset falls. Ready for R4 mass start to follow racers meeting
- Get boats loaded on shuttle for mass start K1, Shuttles will be staged by registration
10:30 AM – MANDATORY racer meeting at registration tent (must be present to receive bib)
IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING MEETING
- R4 Mass start from pool below sunset
- Shuttle for K1 mass start leaves
11:00 AM – BE READY IN THE EDDY!
- Time trials begin after mass start goes by sunset
- Shuttle from upper creek begins (Larry’s House)
11:00 – 3:30 TIME TRIALS – All classes run at same time
3:30 PM – HUK Fest and The “Andy & Bax” IK Invitational
4:00 PM – SHUTTLE ENDS!
- Last shuttle will be leaving Larry’s house promptly at 4:00PM
5:00 PM – Beer Garden Opens
- Volunteers dinner is served
5:30 PM – BBQ at Sunset falls camp ground
7:30 PM – Volunteer Recognition, Awards Ceremony, Raffle and more festivities!!!
No Registration (All racers for Canyon Creek must pre-register online or register at Sunset Falls Campground on Saturday morning.)
10:30 AM – MANDATORY Racer meeting at Forest Service Parking lot (must be present to receive bib)
10:45 AM – Shuttles to Canyon Creek put-in from FS Parking Lot begin
11:30 AM – Time Trial Races Begin – 1:00PM Shuttle to Put-in END and Shuttles from take out back to FS Lot BEGIN.
3:30 PM – Shuttles END
4:00 PM – AWARDS at Forest Service Lot.